Thursday, December 25, 2008

This past year

~My grandma asked the whole family to write a letter to her of what went on in their life this past year. This is what I came up with.

The Journeys of a Young Woman.
By Amanda Berry
I was finishing up my schooling at this place that was like a prison. I could not wait for the chance to be able to run free in the fields with the wind blowing in my hair. I would spend the next few months of my life without a care in the world. I spent my days joyously laboring at a place of worship across town. These days were some of the best in my life. I had a loyal companion named Emily during the warmer months of the year. But nothing gold can stay and I had to prepare for my escape to the corn fields of Illinois. My father was off gathering in Mexico but luckily made it back in time to bid me farewell. Saying goodbye to my loved ones was not an easy thing. I knew that this season in my life was done and the next was beginning. I had no idea what would await me when I arrived in that foreign land of Lincoln. Across the country my only companion was Chelsea and the smell of route 66. Finally we had arrived at my new home. There were many other people there that were just like me. The next few day of my life were the longest but went by the fastest. I was mingling with the other newcomers and enjoying life on my own. Classes began and the work piled up. At times I did not know if I would survive these strenuous conditions. I knew that I could not give up. The joyous times with my new comrades got me through these tough days. In the nights, the people would play games and sometimes I was invited to join. Oh how I loved to play with the others. We often traveled to a place of dance and song. This became one of my favorite things to do. Soon the weather began to change and I began to prepare for the frigid weather. In this time of the season, there was a young man that struck my fancy. After much thought, he became my boyfriend. I feel like this was a wise decision for me at this point in my life. In the colder months, I found it hard to keep warm. Luckily my place of sleep was kept warm. Surely I would not have survived without the warmth of my room. The common place of eating was delightful at first. Into the colder months, my roommate and I sought out food from other places. Food was scarce for a while. Our stock of top ramen and popcorn was running low. After I joined in with my roommate, we were able to make the big trek to Wal Mart and replenish our rations in our room. Autumn, my roommate, is such a lovely girl. I am fortunate to have such a loyal and kind friend. My family sent for me over the holiday season. I was so happy to be able to join with them once again. It had been so long since I left them. The last 12 months of my journey in life were filled with joyous as well as sad times. I am thankful for them all and am glad to be me.

1 comment:

Trev said...

this is really good. i like it.